Monthly Archives: June 2012
“Don’t eat this, don’t eat that…” Have no fear! You will not hear these words from Better Together Fitness. We want you to eat! One of the most popular questions we get from our clients’ is “what do you think is the best diet out there?” Our answer is always the same…we don’t believe in diets/dieting, but rather in eating clean balanced meals that will fuel your body to feel and perform better.
What is clean eating? Clean eating takes you back to the basics of eating fresh whole foods and limiting overly processed foods that have unhealthy additives. It’s what you learned as a kid in health class, you need to eat from all the food groups. This means you need to include lean protein, fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, low fat dairy, and healthy fats in your meals throughout your day…and at the same time limit your sugar intake. Once again, have no fear…we will show you exactly how to do this. The quote below helps put it all in perspective…
“Don’t eat anything your great-great grandmother wouldn’t recognize as food. There are a great many food-like items in the supermarket your ancestors wouldn’t recognize as food…stay away from these” ~Michael Pollan
Welcome to the Better Together Fitness Nutrition aspect of our blog. Our passion lies not only in the gym but also in the kitchen. Leading an active lifestyle is just one part of the equation to achieve the healthiest life possible. Pairing proper nutrition with regular exercise will help you get one step closer to achieving your health and fitness goals.
From our nutrition focused blog postings you can expect to see science based nutrition tips. For those of you that know us, you know that we are firm believers in giving you the science behind the things we are recommending. For those that don’t know us, you will soon recognize this truth as you follow along with the information we provide. We want you to truly understand and believe what we are saying and then walk away with a wealth of knowledge to share with your friends and family. In addition to nutrition tips we will be posting recipes from the Better Together Fitness kitchen, cooking demo videos and e-cookbooks.
As always we encourage you to ask questions, make suggestions and post comments along the way. We want to hear from YOU!
Define Yourself by Defining Your Core Values
As a business and even as an individual you can get bogged down with the countless decisions you are faced with day to day; leaving you with very little time for the important stuff. However, living with a defined set of core values and beliefs will help to clarify your day and provide you with a sense of purpose. This allows you to live your life or operate your business more on your terms and less on circumstances and societal expectations.
Imagine for a moment that you have composed your set of values that defines your purpose for your life or business. If you pass every decision that you are required to make through these values or beliefs…you should be able to determine very quickly if it is something that deserves your time. If your values are clear, you are less likely to make choices that conflict with your values and beliefs. When you make decisions that go against your core values, you can feel frustrated and unfocused.
Conversely, when you have clearly defined your goals, taken the time to write them down, and continue to take action and make decisions that are in line with these values…you build confidence! And confidence creates results.
Take some time to reflect on your purpose and goals. Write down your core values. Stay focused on why they define you. Live by them. And you will create a life of confidence and results!
Below we would like to share with you the Core Values and Training Beliefs for us at Better Together Fitness. These are how we define our business and the basis for our daily decisions and actions.
- We will represent a life of fitness in our own personal lives. We will be the image of someone that practices what they preach by achieving and maintaining a level of fitness both in performance and physical appearance that others will look to as a goal for their own life.
- We will remind ourselves daily that life is short; we should strive to have fun every day and fully appreciate all that life has to offer; living fit provides the best opportunity for this to happen.
- We will continue to learn and develop our own knowledge and experience in all aspects of the health, wellness, and fitness industry. Including but not limited to anatomy, physiology, biomechanics, corrective exercise, functional exercise, psychology, motivation, and nutrition. To be truly fit, a person must be functional and efficient in all these categories, for us to be deficient in our level of knowledge in any of these categories would be a disservice to the people that choose us as their trainer.
- We will educate the public on the aspects of health, wellness and fitness in a way that they can relate to and understand, that will allow them to adapt the information into their own life.
- We will be supportive, encouraging, and motivational towards each person we interact with, so that we may help them to reach for and accomplish their own goals and dreams.
- We will create a training environment that consistently maintains a level of support, encouragement, and motivation that people will feel excited about coming to.
- A workout should not be dreaded…it should be enjoyed.
- You should focus on the small goals and victories…they build on each other.
- You should surround yourself with supportive and encouraging people that want to see you reach your goals.
- Being fit really does add quality to your life, energy to your days, and can truly help you be happier. As our motto states…and we whole heartedly believe. Life is short. Have Fun. Live Fit.
That is what we are about and what Better Together Fitness is about…experience it for yourself, you won’t be disappointed!
Sometimes the hardest thing about trying to accomplish a goal is the actual start. Many of us continue to wait for that perfect moment before beginning. I am equally as guilty as the next person, maybe even more so.
Just starting can be the hugest and hardest step. This is so true of so many things. Take this blog for instance, I set this up months ago and it has been just sitting here as I waited for that inspiration of that perfect first post. Well I am not so sure that this is perfect by any stretch of the imagination…but the quote above certainly struck a chord for me. You will begin to see as we move forward with the blog posts that quotes tend to hit home for me…successful people saying inspiring things…think about it. J
Every day people are faced with countless things that could benefit their life on so many levels if they just start…even with the smallest step. That start is what separates the successful people from the dreamers.
Things like taking care of your health, eating better, exercising, etc. Truly just taking that one beginning step in the right direction gets you so much closer to those goals in your mind…that dream life. Stop waiting for that just right opportunity to appear that will allow you to take that one huge jump to greatness…it may never come. Just start with that one small step.
Remember that even “A journey of a 1000 miles begins with a single step.” – Lao-tzu
And once you take that first step…once you start…don’t let yourself stop! Just simply taking the smallest step each day prevents you from having to reface that dreadful start.
We’ve all heard the saying, “There’s no time like the present.” or “Just Do It.” Or any other countless saying out there that pleads with you to just take action. The days keep speeding along…but have you started living your dreams?
Do anything, it does not matter how big or small…just start now…you won’t be sorry!
“A year from now, you may wish you had started today.” – Karen Lamb
The dream of Better Together Fitness begins today with this single blog post. We may not be the greatest today, but now that we have started…anything is possible!